Water Treatment Chemicals Market: Summary
The Global Water Treatment Chemicals Market is expected to register a CAGR of around 5.8%, reaching a value of more than USD 76 billion by the end of 2027.
Water is a universal solvent, however, solids such as clay, fine sand, dust, and rust are not soluble in water. The contaminant water has undissolved clay, sand, etc. as well as dissolved organic matters, and traces of metals and oxides. Water treatment is done to remove these undissolved and dissolved particles. Treatment chemicals are used in polluted rivers, wastewater effluents, and seawater in order to make the water safe for human consumption.
Water Treatment Chemicals Market: Drivers & Challenges
- Growing Demand for Water Treatment across Various End-Use Industries
Major manufacturing industries such as chemicals, oil & gas, food & beverage, mining, textiles, and others generate a large amount of wastewater on a daily basis. This water is loaded with a number of contaminants such as non-biodegradable chemicals, organic matters, and traces of metals and oxides. This necessitates the need for treating the effluent water, because, if not treated, the contaminated water may cause gastrointestinal problems, diarrhea, nausea, dehydration, and even death.
According to the UN-Water, globally,1.45 million people a year die as a result of diarrhea illness every year, 58% of which is caused by inadequate water, sanitation, and hygiene. 43% of the 1.45 million deaths occur in children aged five and below.
Thereby, the need for water treatment in end-use industries is likely to drive the global water treatment chemicals market.
- Stringent Government Regulations Favoring the Market Growth
Implementation of stringent regulations on the discharge of contaminated effluent is yet another driver of the global water treatment chemicals market. For instance, the US Environmental Protection Agency regulates the Clean Water Act, the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System, and the Safe Drinking Water Act, thus promoting water treatment.
Similarly, the European Union regulates the use of water treatment chemicals through regulations such as the Urban Wastewater Treatment Directive, Drinking Water Directive, and Water Framework Directive.
Therefore, the implementation of such regulations to balance the chemical oxygen demand and biological oxygen demand is propelling the market growth.
- Disadvantages of Chemical Treatment
The formation of disinfection by-products (DBPs) is a major restraining factor for the water treatment chemicals market. DBPs are formed during the reaction of oxidants with organic matter. Some of the DBPs include dichloromethylhydroxyfuranone (MX), potassium bromate (KBrO3), chloroform (CHCl3) and bromodichloromethane (DBCM), and bromochloromethane (BDCM). These by-products are proven renal carcinogenic or poisonous to kidneys. Chloroform causes damage to the liver and finally causes cancer. Moreover, 14-16% of bladder cancer cases are caused by disinfection by-products.
Other factors that may hamper the market growth include the maintenance of residual disinfection during storage, the handling and transport of dangerous chemicals, and the technically skilled labor required to run and maintain complex water treatment technologies.
Water Treatment Chemicals market: Key segments
- Segmentation based on type: Corrosion Inhibitors, Coagulants & Flocculants, Scale Inhibitors, Biocides & Disinfectants, pH Adjusters, Defoamer & Defoaming Agents, Chelating Agents, Oxidants, and Others.
- Segmentation based on application: Municipal Water Treatment, Oil & Gas, Power Generation, Paper & Pulp, Food & Beverage, Metal & Mining, Chemicals, Textiles, and Others.
- Segmentation based on region covers: North America, South America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Middle East & Africa and South America, with individual country-level analysis.
Water Treatment Chemicals Market: Report Scope
The report on the water treatment chemicals market covers a deep dive analysis of historic, recent and current market trends. Furthermore, market share/ranking analysis of key players, market dynamics, competition landscape, country-wise analysis for each region covered and the entire supply chain dynamics are covered through the below segmentation.
Historical/Estimated/Forecasted Market Size Years
Base Year for Market Calculation
2021-2027 (2020 estimated year, forecasted up to 2027)
Value (USD Million) Volume (Kiloton)
North America, Asia-Pacific, Europe, Middle East & Africa, South Africa
KEY Companies Covered
- BASF SE (Company Description, Company Overview, Product Synopsis, Key Developments, SWOT Analysis)
- Kemira Oyj
- Kurita Water Industries Ltd
- Hydrite Chemical
- SNF group
- Carus Group Inc.
- Other Key Companies
Water Treatment Chemicals MARKET: report segmentation
For the scope of the report, In-depth segmentation is offered by Forencis Research
Water Treatment Chemicals Market, by Type
- Corrosion Inhibitors
- Coagulants & Flocculants
- Scale Inhibitors
- Biocides & Disinfectants
- pH Adjusters
- Defoamer & Defoaming Agents
- Chelating Agents
Water Treatment Chemicals Market, by Application
- Municipal Water Treatment
- Oil & Gas
- Power Generation
- Paper & Pulp
- Food & Beverage
- Metal & Mining
Water Treatment Chemicals Market, by Region
- North America
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- Rest of Europe
- Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
- South America
- Rest of South America
Key Questions answered by the report
- What are the prominent developments affecting the market worldwide and its growth?
- What will be the impact of the developments in the market on the industry and on the market players in the future?
- What are the evolving variations of the market globally?
- What are the evolving functions of the market globally?
- What are the prominent aspects that will affect market growth globally during the study period?
- Who are the key players operating in the market across the globe?
- How are the key players leveraging in the present market scenario worldwide?
- Water Treatment Chemicals Market Providers
- Water Treatment Chemicals Market Solution and Services Suppliers, Distributors and Dealers
- End-Users of Varied Segments of Water Treatment Chemicals Market
- Government Bodies and Intellectual Institutions
- Associations and Industrial Organizations
- Research & Consulting Service Providers
- Research & Development Organizations
- Investment Banks & Private Equity Firms
60+ MARKET TABLES AND 30+ FIGURES WILL BE INCLUDED IN THE WATER TREATMENT CHEMICALS MARKET STUDY