THERMAL SPRAY COATINGS MARKET: Summary
The Global Thermal Spray Coatings Market is projected to exhibit at a CAGR of over 6.5% to reach a value of more than USD 16.8 billion by 2027.
Thermal spraying is a technology that improves or restores the surface of a solid material. The process involves heating a material in powder or wire form to a molten or semi-molten state. The heated material is sprayed on the substrate material at a high velocity. It is used to provide resistance against wear, erosion, cavitation, corrosion, abrasion, and heat.
Thermal spraying is also used to provide electrical conductivity or insulation, lubricity, high or low friction, chemical resistance, and many other desirable surface properties.
THERMAL SPRAY COATINGS MARKET: Drivers & CHALLENGES
- High Demand from Major End-use Industries
Extensive use of thermal spray coatings in end-use industries such as aerospace, automotive, and healthcare is one of the key drivers for the market growth. The aerospace industry remains the largest contributor to the growth of the thermal spray coatings market, owing to the requirement of high thermal and wear resistance. Thermal spray coatings are being used in a wide range of aerospace components such as jet engine components, turbine blades, and landing gears, among others.
Additionally, the coatings are used in the healthcare industry for various applications such as prosthetics, orthopedics, dental implants, among others.
Figure: Healthcare Spending (% of GDP), 2018
Source: Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development
Thus, extensive growth of major end-use industries across the globe is projected to propel the market demand.
- Use as a Replacement of Hard Chrome Coatings
Stringent regulations by the US Environmental Protection Agency and European Chemicals Agency on the use of high VOC content coatings such as hard chrome coatings. Additionally, thermal spray coatings are inexpensive, thus having a positive impact on their demand.
Therefore, use of thermal spray coatings as a substitute for hard chrome coatings is a driver of the global market.
- Disadvantages Associated with Thermal Spray Coatings
Although thermal spray coatings exhibit numerous advantages, it has certain drawbacks. Firstly, the process requires a high initial set-up cost on the account of an expensive apparatus. The process restricts the precise evaluation of its effectiveness, apart from a visual assessment. Moreover, Thermal spray systems can produce ultraviolet light. For instance, plasma systems are known to operate at high intensity in the UV-C region while flame spray processes can produce radiation that resides in the erythemal or UV-B region. Prolonged exposure to such radiation may cause flash burns damage to the eyes, altered skin cell growth, and skin burns.
Therefore, disadvantages associated with thermal spray coatings is a major restraining factor.
Thermal Spray Coatings market: Key segments
- Based on the material type, the global thermal spray coatings market is segmented into Aluminum, Steel, Copper, Bronze, Carbides, Ceramics, and Others.
- On the basis of process, the market has been segmented into Plasma Spray, High Electric Arc Spray, High Velocity Oxy-Fuel Spray, Vacuum Plasma Spray, and Others.
- Major end-users of this market are Aerospace, Automotive, Oil & Gas, Medical, Mining, Paper & Pulp, and Others.
- Regions covered in the global thermal spray market include North America, South America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Middle East & Africa and South America, with individual country-level analysis.
Thermal Spray Coatings MARKET: Report SCOPE
The report on the thermal spray coatings market covers a deep dive analysis of historic, recent and current market trends. Furthermore, market share/ranking analysis of key players, market dynamics, competition landscape, country-wise analysis for each region covered and the entire supply chain dynamics are covered through the below segmentation.
Historical/Estimated/Forecasted Market Size Years
Base Year for Market Calculation
2021-2027 (2020 estimated year, forecasted up to 2027)
Value (USD Million) Volume (Kiloton)
Material Type, Process, and End-users
North America, Asia-Pacific, Europe, Middle East & Africa, South Africa
KEY Companies Covered
- Praxair S.T. Technology, Inc. (Company Description, Company Overview, Product Synopsis, Key Developments, SWOT Analysis)
- Oerlikon Metco
- H.C. Starck GmbH
- F.W. Gartner Thermal Spraying
- A & A COATINGS
- BryCoat Inc.
- ASB Industries, Inc.
- Precision Coatings, Inc.
- Air Products and Chemicals, Inc.
- General Magnaplate Corporation
- Other Key Companies
Thermal Spray Coatings MARKET: report segmentation
For the scope of the report, In-depth segmentation is offered by Forencis Research
Thermal Spray Coatings Market, by Material Type
Thermal Spray Coatings Market, by Process
- Plasma Spray
- High Electric Arc Spray
- High Velocity Oxy-Fuel Spray
- Vacuum Plasma Spray
Thermal Spray Coatings Market, by End-Users
- Oil & Gas
- Paper & Pulp
Thermal Spray Coatings Market, by Region
- North America
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- Rest of Europe
- Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
- South America
- Rest of South America
Key Questions answered by the report
- What are the prominent developments affecting the market worldwide and its growth?
- What will be the impact of the developments in the market on the industry and on the market players in the future?
- What are the evolving variations of the market globally?
- What are the evolving functions of the market globally?
- What are the prominent aspects that will affect market growth globally during the study period?
- Who are the key players operating in the market across the globe?
- How are the key players leveraging in the present market scenario worldwide?
- Thermal Spray Coatings Market Providers
- Thermal Spray Coatings Market Solution and Services Suppliers, Distributors and Dealers
- End-Users of Varied Segments of Thermal Spray Coatings Market
- Government Bodies and Intellectual Institutions
- Associations and Industrial Organizations
- Research & Consulting Service Providers
- Research & Development Organizations
- Investment Banks & Private Equity Firms
60+ MARKET TABLES AND 30+ FIGURES WILL BE INCLUDED IN THE THERMAL SPRAY COATINGS MARKET STUDY